Test Lab Engineer
This position has the following responsibilities: Assist Corporate Engineering Group by developing and recommending test methods, procedures, and equipment to maximize analysis of new and existing products. Perform tests and inspections on new and existing products to evaluate performance. Conduct testing research to comply with government regulations, meet worldwide engineering standards, and compete in the global market on both cost and quality. Conduct testing per Accuride internal procedures, ISO 17025 and IATF16949 to ensure the Test Lab maintains its ISO 17025 certification.
- Maintains safe operation of test equipment by inspecting test equipment and correcting any deficiencies.
- Maintains and operates test lab equipment.
- Provide technical oversight for in-house calibration of gages and test equipment as appropriate per CTL calibration procedures.
- Reviews and audits documented records of in-house and external calibrations.
- Ensures accuracy of product testing by preparing test samples properly for lab analysis, maintaining proper documentation of specimen analysis, and implementing and using proper gage control procedures. Perform product testing by preparing, inspecting components, and performing tests, by operating test machines, and by tabulating and recording test data per CTL procedures.
- Ensure quality of machine operation by providing technical knowledge, troubleshooting and fixing equipment problems.
- Maintains good relationships with Test Lab customers by assisting them with test components, test requests, paperwork, and special requests in a timely and courteous manner. Provide technical assistance and information by advising personnel and customers in the proper application, use, and maintenance of products, and preparing and presenting technical data, written and orally, for review, information, and approval.
- Ensures testing efficiency by planning and organizing testing activities and by maintaining inventory of items needed to perform product testing. Find new ways to improve testing efficiencies and to reduce costs by proposing new concepts for conducting test programs.
- Maintains high level of housekeeping in areas of responsibility by keeping work and storage areas clean and neat by storing test components, supplies, and spare parts, in a logical and orderly manner, including the timely disposition of tested components.
- Performs and execute strain gage testing of wheels and components in the test lab and in the field.
- Leads CMM work and trains interns and others to use the CMM.
- Maintain ISO 17025 test lab accreditation documents and quality control system
- Consults with Corporate Engineering Group to develop and recommend test methods and procedures, by evaluating and recommending the purchase of test equipment, and by keeping Test & Metallurgy staff appraised of any changes to testing methods and procedures. Performs research to improve test effectiveness and test quality by proposing new concepts for conducting test programs.
- Co-ordinates work of outside suppliers and contractors by soliciting bids, work, and oversee routine and project work in the Test Lab.
- Follow applicable ISO 17025 and TS16949 Quality Management System procedures and work instructions.
Required Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing, maintenance or industrial supervision is preferred. Entry level applicants acceptable. Three or more years in a manufacturing, testing or technical field a plus.
- Experience in a manufacturing facility with IATF1694 or ISO 9001 accreditation or test lab environment with ISO 17025 accreditation
- Training or experience in strain gage laying, strain testing, corrosion testing, hydraulics, electrical, sensors and PLCs a plus
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing and 5S techniques a plus
- Understanding of engineering principles, product testing procedures, and manufacturing processes
- Background in experimental techniques
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques and metalworking
- Excellent analytical skills
- Very good verbal and written communication skills especially in report writing
- Good interpersonal skills are required when dealing with co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoiNT, TEAMS etc.).
- Experience in Minitab, Siemens NX CAD, ANSYS FEA, nCode, Diadem, MTS and HBM CatManEasy software a plus.