Material and Process Specialist II
The purpose of this position is to carry out materials evaluations in support of new process or product development projects, work with other metallurgists and testing personnel to troubleshoot and determine root cause on product failure analysis and work in collaboration with Materials Lab manager to maintain equipment and develop preventive maintenance schedules for instrumentation at the Materials Laboratory in Henderson. The incumbent is expected to work with other members of the Engineering department and testing laboratories in Henderson to provide support to manufacturing operations across Accuride in product development and manufacturing process improvement initiatives.
- Provides timely and accurate material and metallurgical related responses to internal customer requests for product and failure investigations.
- Maintains and operates metallurgical lab equipment.
- Keeps documented records of calibrations.
- Conduct analysis and evaluation of the quality and properties of metals.
- Conduct research/analyses methodologies and document the results.
- Actively participate and support in cost reduction and continual improvement programs.
- Follow applicable Quality Management System procedures and work instructions.
- Research, develop and document new test methods and then train others.
- Support manufacturing operations by serving on 8-D, CI, and process/quality review teams.
- Maintain work instructions for performing routine metallurgical lab evaluations.
- Assist in the development and control of specifications for incoming raw materials.
Required Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS degree required; degree in Materials Science Technology, Engineering Technology or Metallurgy preferred.
- Two years of experience in an industrial setting preferred.
- Experience with metallurgical lab equipment preferred (Metallography, SEM, Mechanical Testing, , etc.)
- Knowledge of physical and mechanical metallurgy of steel, aluminum, and iron systems is desirable.
- Knowledge in advanced materials such as composites or reinforced plastics or ceramics is desirable.
- Experience with non-destructive testing (Ultrasonic, Eddy Current) is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience with quality systems preferred.
- Proficient analytical and technical writing skills.
- Project management and material qualification experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques, metal forming and joining of dissimilar materials operations is desirable.
- Experience with fatigue testing, failure analysis, welding/joining and corrosion.
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft applications.
- Support research efforts focused on materials, materials coatings, and processing of materials.